Privacy in the Digital Economy
In order to build consumer trust and confidence in conducting e-business in Canada the Government of Canada is committed to establishing clear rules to protect the privacy of personal information in the new 'virtual' marketplace. This is being done through the implementation of Federal privacy legislation, and implementation of the new anti-spam legislation.
Comments Received from the Consultation on the Implementation of the Government Response
The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) came into full effect on January 1, 2004.
Part 1 of PIPEDA applies to all personal information collected, used or disclosed by private sector organizations in the course of commercial activity. Its privacy provisions are based on the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information (CAN/CSA-Q830-96). Key among the Act's provisions are:
- organizations are required to seek the consent of individuals prior to collecting, using or disclosing their personal information;
- organizations must protect personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information; and
- individuals may access personal information about themselves held by an organization and have it corrected, if necessary.
PIPEDA, already applicable since January 1, 2001 to federally regulated industries, such as banking and telecommunications, now applies to provincially regulated businesses. Organizations subject to provincial laws that have been deemed substantially similar to the PIPEDA, may by Order in Council, be exempt from the PIPEDA for all intra-provincial transactions.
There are various sources of information available to guide organizations in adopting the necessary procedures to comply with the Act, including information for:
Individuals can access further information regarding their privacy rights here:
- Your Privacy Rights: A Guide for Canadians to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
Regulations Related to Part 1 of PIPEDA
- Order Binding Certain Agents of her Majesty for the Purposes of Part 1 of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act
- Regulations Specifying Publicly Available Information
- Regulations Specifying Investigative Bodies
For more information see the following sections:
- Date modified: